2009年8月26日水曜日

saffron soaked egg toast



Saffron, the gold of spices, is the most expensive product on earth, pound for pound. It takes 150 flowers to make 1 gram of saffron. Saffron flowers die the day they first bloom, so the harvest has to be speedy. Its normally way out of my price range but thankfully I took advantage of cheap spice markets in southeast Asia, buying a half ounce for less than a metro swipe. Aroma connoisseurs describe its taste as a metallic honey, with bitter, earthy tinges.

goat cheese and olive tapenade
grilled red tomatoes
hot capocollo
egg
baguette
saffron

My bread is stale and disgusting so I soaked it in egg, milk and saffron for twenty minutes, then fried it in butter. I mixed kalamata olives and goat cheese with garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in my food processor to make a tapenade. I spread the egg toast with the olive tapenade, gently butter grilled tomatoes, and capocollo. Capocollo is a fatty Italian charcuterie, similar in deliciousness to prosciutto. This sandwich is really wild and overwhelms the mouth with flavor. Not for ascetics.

0 件のコメント: